Tipping for food delivery can be depending on the food delivery service and the country, but in the United States, it is generally recommended to tip between 15% to 20% of the total order cost for food delivery.
This is the same compared to the tipping for restaurant dining.
However, you may also want to tip more for exceptional service or less for poor service.
Some restaurant food delivery apps also have a built-in tipping feature that allows you to tip the delivery person directly through the app.
It is also worth realizing that delivery fees and service charges do not typically go to the delivery person, so tipping when the food gets delivered is an important way to show appreciation for their work.
Table of Contents
Is The Tip Included In The Food Order App?
Some food delivery apps do offer the option to add a tip to the order during checkout, while others do not. It is depending on the app and the specific restaurant or delivery service.
For example, apps like Uber Eats, DoorDash, Grubhub, Postmates, and Seamless all offer the option to add a tip during checkout.
Some apps may also give you the option to adjust the tip after the delivery has been made and based on your experience.
Tip: delivery persons sometimes look at the amount of tip on the order to decide if they will take the order. Low tipping might result in a longer waiting time for delivery.
It’s worth noting that tipping the delivery driver is optional, and you are not required to do so. However, tipping is a common practice in the food service industry and is often very much appreciated by the delivery person for their work.
Reason To Tip A Food Delivery.
- Prompt delivery: If the delivery person arrives fast and delivers your food in a timely manner, it may be a good reason to tip them well. This can be especially important if you are ordering food for a time-sensitive event, such as a party or meeting.
- Excellent customer service: If the delivery person is friendly, courteous, and goes above and beyond to ensure your satisfaction, it may be a good reason to give them a good tip. This can include things like accommodating special requests or providing extra condiments or utensils.
- Bad weather or difficult conditions: If the weather is bad or the delivery location is difficult to navigate, it may be a good reason to tip the delivery person well. They may have had to go through harsh weather or bad traffic conditions to get your food to you, and a good tip can show your appreciation for their extra effort.
- Large or complicated orders: If you’ve placed a large or complicated order, it may be a good reason to tip the delivery person well. They may have had to have a good look at these multiple orders or make special accommodations to ensure your satisfaction.
- Support for gig workers: Many food delivery drivers are independent contractors or gig workers who solely rely on tips to supplement their income. Giving a good tip can show support for these workers and help them make ends meet.
My main reason to tip a food delivery good is that they save you time and money. This might sound strange but here is my reasoning.
On average, food delivery drivers in the United States earn between $10 to $20 per hour (1), including tips. That person is, in many cases, an independent contractor and is responsible for expenses such as gas and maintenance for their vehicle.
The national average cost for a car per mile is about $0.43.
You don’t have to get out to pick up the meal that you ordered at a local restaurant and this will save you time, gas, and wear and tear on your vehicle.
Overall, tipping is a way to show appreciation for good service and to support the workers who provide it.
Your order can be refused or take longer if you give a low or no tip on the order.
While there is no hard and fast rule regarding whether food delivery persons can and will refuse orders with bad tips, they may be less likely to accept such orders as I mentioned above.
This is because food delivery persons rely on tips to supplement their income and a low or no-tip order may not be worth the time and effort required to make the delivery.
However, it’s important to note that food delivery persons are typically required to accept all orders that come through their app, regardless of the tip amount. Refusing orders could result in negative consequences such as low ratings or even account deactivation.
That being said, a good tip can certainly increase the chances that your order will be accepted fast and delivered with care. If you’re able to, it’s generally recommended to tip well to show your appreciation for the delivery person’s work and to help ensure a smooth and timely delivery.
Tipping For Food Delivery – My Opinion
Many of the meal delivery services that you order online which you can find here on this page, operate differently and have delivery staff in full-time employment, and although you can tip it is not very common.
A food delivery app that offers ordering from local restaurants has, in general, no delivery staff and relies on services that use independent contractors.
These people do not make money unless they deliver food. So, tips are a large part of their income. That makes it for me normal case to give them nice tips since they have saved me time, gas, and wear and tear on my car.